7/17/24 - Acts 7:54-60

Acts 7: 54-60

Observation:

Stephen was speaking to a Jewish council and after listening to Stephen's speech, the council was enraged and expressed their anger physically ("gnashed their teeth"). Stephen's state described as "full of the Holy Spirit" looks up and sees a vision of the "glory of God" and Jesus "standing at the right hand of God." Stephen then shares his vision with the Jewish council, specifically nothing "heaven open" and "the Son of Man" standing at God's right hand. The Jewish council's reaction was violent as they covered their ears refusing to hear and shouted loudly at Stephen. The Jewish council then dragged Stephen out of the city and began to stone him. Thos participating in the stoning laid their coats at Saul's feet. While Stephen was getting stoned, he prayed to Jesus, calls outs to Jesus asking Jesus to "receive my spirit." Stephen's final act was praying out loud to God to "not hold their sin against them" afterwards dying.

Interpretation:

Before we dive into Acts 7: 54-60, we need to know that Stephen was standing before the Sanhedrin people (Jewish council) that consisted of religious leaders and elders. Stephen stood before them as he was accused of blasphemy referenced in Acts 6 and 7. The beginning of Acts 6 showed Stephen was one of the seven men chosen to assist the apostles in ministering to the needs of the community. Stephen was described as "a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit." Stephen's effective ministry and powerful preaching drew the attention and opposition of certain members of the Jewish community, particularly from the Synagogue of the Freedmen. They were unable to counter Stephen's wisdom and the Spirit by which Stephen spoke, so they secretly instigated men to accuse Stephen of blasphemy against Moses and God (Acts 6:9-11). These instigators stirred up the people, the elders, and the teachers of the law. Eventually, Stephen was brought before the Sanhedrin. Here was where Stephen was being accused of his blasphemy against the holy place and the Law. In response to the charges, Stephen gave a lengthy speech before the Sanhedrin. In his speech, he recounted Israel's history and pointed out their repeated rejection of God's messengers, culminating in their betrayal and murder of the Righteous One, Jesus Christ. Stephen accused the Sanhedrin of resisting the Holy Spirit and not keeping the law themselves.

The Sanhedrin were enraged by Stephen's speech. Their fury was so intense that they gnashed their teeth, a physical manifestation of their anger and frustration. Despite Sanhedrin’s anger, Stephen remains full of the Holy Spirit. His spiritual state allows him to have a vision of heaven, where he sees God's glory and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. This vision is significant as it reinforces Stephen's faith and the truth of his testimony. Stephen shares his vision with the Sanhedrin, explicitly identifying Jesus as the "Son of Man" standing at the right hand of God. This declaration emphasizes Jesus's divine authority and His exalted position in heaven. It also directly challenges the Sanhedrin's rejection of Jesus as the Messiah. The Sanhedrin reacts violently to Stephen's vision and declaration. Covering their ears symbolizes their refusal to listen to Stephen's words. Their loud yelling and physical rushing at Stephen demonstrate their extreme anger and determination to silence him. The council forcibly removes Stephen from the city, adhering to the Jewish custom of executing someone outside the city limits. They begin to stone him, a method of execution for blasphemy according to the Jewish law. The mention of the witnesses laying their coats at Saul's feet introduces Saul (later known as Paul) and indicates his approval of the execution. As Stephen is being stoned, he prays/shouts to Jesus, asking Him to receive his spirit. This prayer echoes Jesus's own words on the cross and demonstrates Stephen's unwavering faith and trust in Jesus even in the face of death. Stephen's final words are a prayer of forgiveness for his persecutors, mirroring Jesus's prayer on the cross for those who crucified Him. The phrase "he fell asleep" indicates Stephen's peaceful acceptance of his fate and his entry into eternal rest. 

Personal Reflection:

There are three major players in this passage that I have been in their shoes in the past. I have been where in Stephen's shoes where my faith was being called out and I defended it; obviously, not to the extremity where it was either life or death. I simply remembering my uncle and aunt who are not believers, blatantly stating "there's no God" and "if He was truly real then why aren't your parents still together" indicating their knowledge of my parents serving the church and considered strong believers at the time. I would argue with them about it and that God is the one who I will follow no matter what. This did not sit well with my relatives, especially my uncle. Granted I was only 12 at the time, and I could of said it in a softer manner, but I felt like my faith was being questioned and I allowed my emotions to get the better of me which lead to arguments. Looking back, I should of voiced my reasons and opinions in a softer manner, but when you're twelve and human, it's quite difficult to control, especially with raging testosterone. I still feel the same way from time to time even with June and the kids. I wish they knew about Jesus the way I know Him, but I know it's not up to me.  

The second player is the Sanhedrin Jewish council where they voiced their anger towards the person who spoke the truth. Back in high school, there was a classmate who was in the same grade that was going around the school preaching the Word. I won't name names so let's call him Smith. He even helped create a special movement at our school called EoC (Evangelicals of Christ). Keep in mind that during the time there was an extreme Christian statewide on saving people and get the secular community to become believers. Smith was rubbed a lot of people the wrong way with the way he spoke and granted I felt the same way. People would get angry and infuriated to him and quite a bit of those people were my friends. There would be days where they would talk about Smith and ask if I know and/or hang around him. I did know Smith and in fact, Smith was one of the first friends I had when I first started attending high school. We would hang out and he was one of the main reasons to meeting some of the other friends I met whom would eventually become close. But when Smith became really vocal about his faith, he questioned me why I wasn't doing the same. "Why are hiding?" he would ask, followed by "don't you love God? or are you a coward?" When he said those things, it frustrated me where when I was being asked by my friends who were frustrated at him, I would voice the same type of anger and join in with them. 

The last player is Saul. He was only mentioned once throughout the passage, but it's highly important to show his presence that he could of been one of the instigators or at least complicit in the events leading up to Stephen's martyrdom. I see Saul as one of the major people working behind the scenes to not only stir the pot on getting people to help falsely accuse Stephen but also someone who helped organize the trial against him in front of Sanhedrin. I did not do something that extreme, but I did talk behind Smith's back when I felt it was appropriate during high school. I went around asking people, "did you hear what Smith said this time?" or "Smith is saying some extreme things. Not sure about you but I wouldn't go as far as he's going." I never voice it out in the public but I did work behinds the scenes as I can see Saul doing.

Application:

Jealousy and envy for sure clouded my judgement. Looking back if it wasn't for God, interfering in my thoughts and prayers, I wouldn't have been able to stop sinning against the Lord. I remember God coming to me as I was speaking to one of my close friends about Smith and during mid-sentence, God voiced into my heart look at Smith and truly listen to his words and began to question "is Smith lying or is what he is stating the truth?" After listening to Smith's words, I realized what he said weren't lies and quickly understood that it was my insecurities and lack of maturity that made me jealous and envious towards him. There were other things that made me feel the way that I did like the fact that he was a PK and I was an MK, I needlessly pinned us against each other. Pride is a huge demon. It really can ruin relationships. Over time I stopped talking behind Smith's back and we graduated happily together, but these days I can still see my jealousy and envy creeping here and there. Like "what about me?" or "I wish I can speak just as well as he or she can." I also pray that when the time comes where I need to prove my faith, I will be able to do so rightfully in God's eyes. I pray that He feels me with the Holy Spirit where I'm not afraid of what will happen to me nor what will happen to those around me family included. I need to follow Stephan's example of being "a man full of faith and of the Holy Spirit." When I was younger I was afraid of losing relationships, especially my close friends who I considered family, but now I don't have that fear anymore or it doesn't have a full grasp of me like how it used to during my high school days. Over the years, I learned, observed and acknowledged that the only thing constant in my life has been and will always be is God. People will come and go; the only thing I pray for is that I do right by them as God wants me to be. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/27/24 - Acts 16:25-34

1/16/24 - Mark 4:35-41

7/03/24 - Luke 10:30-37